[OC] Vikings Defensive Player of Game 1

Jul 15, 2017 18:19:37 GMT -6 4 Replies
Before the season kicks off, I'll be taking a look at the Vikings' best offensive and defensive player each game and highlighting exactly why and how they had such a good game. For simplicity sake, I'll be choosing whoever PFF rated as the best player on each side of the ball that week. Right now that's the easiest way to do it, but I'm open to other suggestions like possibly a vote for the upcoming season.

Our first week we played the Tennessee Titans and our defense put on a show, basically winning the game off of points they scored alone. Eric Kendricks and Danielle Hunter both scored defensive TDs, but the player with the highest grade on D was a player with a little more consistency and a little less flash: Harrison Smith. Harrison Smith is the undisputed best player on the entire Vikings roster. He's the definition of a versatile safety, capable of performing any task you could ask of a safety at a high level. Versus the Titans, Harrison really exemplified the word "safety". On at least four separate occasions Smith made the tackle to prevent a much bigger gain after another Viking had whiffed on a tackle.

Here is a screenshot of a 2nd down play where the Titans ran a QB draw. This is the point Smith recognizes the play and starts coming downhill. Mariota hasn't even tipped off he was going to run yet, but Smith was able to read the center and the fact that the D was in poor position to stop that play and is able to prevent the first down.

On this play it's 3rd and 2 in the 2nd quarter. Anthony Barr goes on a blitz but fails to notice the RB leaking out of the backfield. This gives Marcus Mariota an easy read on his hot route and now we're in a situation where the Titans have their 6'4 245lb alien RB running free down the sideline. Smith, however, picks this up immediately and is able to bring down Derrick Henry pretty easily for a 12-yard gain.

Smith and Henry actually had several meetings this game with Smith often coming out on top. Here are two plays where Smith lines up on the edge and is able to shoot in the backfield and bring down Henry. The first one is for no gain on 3rd and 1 and the second one is a TFL on first down.

Just a reminder for those reading this, Derrick Henry and Harrison Smith are both 6'2. Smith, however, weighs 218lbs while Henry checks in at 247lbs. That's basically a 30-pound difference... And Smith is bringing him down with relative ease. That's not something you see often from NFL safeties.

In coverage, Harrison Smith was a blanket. On many occasions he clearly took away Mariota's first option, forcing him to go (unsuccessfully) somewhere else with the ball. He was only thrown at once while being the main defender in coverage and Smith forced the incompletion.

This play really highlights how versatile Smith is. He lines up on the left edge threatening to blitz then just before the ball is snapped he gets back to play a deep quarter role. Once back there he picks up the WR running the dig and breaks on the ball as it's thrown leading to an incomplete pass. This isn't a play many DCs would ask their safety to make, but Smith does it with relative ease.

Although the stat sheet shows Smith had zero picks this game, he actually had one called back because of an extremely soft roughing the passer penalty. On this play Smith is playing a deep half role. The ball is actually pretty badly thrown behind the WR, but Smith broke on it as soon as the QB threw the ball and instead of playing the man, he locked on to the path of the ball and made a spectacular catch for the pick.

Throughout the game, Smith was clearly the best player on defense, with his presence being felt all across the field. This is not even taking into account that he is the leader on the back end making sure all the DBs are on the same page. He made a handful of splash plays in both the run and pass game and even though he didn't produce one of the two TDs we scored on D, he played a massive role in limiting the Titans' offense and securing the Vikings' first win.

[OC] Vikings Defensive Player of Game 1

Shoutbox

salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
SiteWolf: What about Daniels separates him that much from Maye? His old team didn't whine when he left ASU, his frame as it is right now will struggle to stay healthy with his playing style...so is he really the better prospect? Apr 24, 2024 13:47:01 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.