[OC] Notes on Vikings vs Bears Part One

Oct 14, 2017 21:35:19 GMT -6 1 Replies
Harrison Smith PFF Grade 88.6

Harry Hitman has been a lynchpin for the Viking’s defense since day one. Unlike other players, who fit niche roles, his versatility allows him to make an impact on the majority of snaps, whether it be a run or a pass. Throughout his career, he’s shown elite level skills in coverage, vs the run, and when blitzing, making him a nightmare for other teams while being a hero for ours. Monday’s game was a classic Smith game; he was able to showcase the total package and ended up making the game-winning play in a key divisional game.

Early in the first quarter, the Bears tried to get the offense going by running a WR screen to arguably their most dynamic player, Tarik Cohen. Normally this leads to an easy completion and handful of free yards but Smith had other plans in mind. On the play, he instantly recognizes the screen and flies upfield to make a tackle for a 3-yard loss.

Later in the quarter, it’s 3rd down and Mike Zimmer dials up a blitz to attack the rookie QB. The Bears’ protection breaks down leading to an unblocked Smith forcing Mitch Trubisky out of the pocket leading to an incompletion and a QB hit.

In the second quarter Smith shows off his chops vs the run. Once the RB cuts back Smith sets the edge forcing the RB to bounce inside, then he sheds the blocker to make the run stop.

The last play comes in the fourth quarter when the Vikings needed a play the most. The Bears were backed up and the pressure causes Trubisky to leave the pocket. Smith stays locked onto the TE the entire time and when the TE heads downfield Smith follows and makes a play on the throw to come up with the game-winning pick.

Monday’s game really highlighted what many already knew, not only is Harrison Smith the NFL’s most versatile safety, he’s also one of the best ones too.

Jerick McKinnon PFF Grade 84.8

Jerick McKinnon had an awful season last year and was stuck behind our star RB Dalvin Cook to start the season. When Cook went down it was assumed that Latavius Murray would step into his role with McKinnon seeing slightly more time as well. While the Vikings showed this was the plan early vs the Bears, McKinnon quickly showed he’s more impactful than his overpaid teammate.

McKinnon didn’t get much run until the second quarter but when he did he sure made the most of it. Midway through he shows off the skill all good RBs need; the ability to make defenders miss. Here he makes a quick juke to turn a TFL into a 3 yard gain.

Near the end of the third quarter, McKinnon gives the Vikings a boost taking a toss play 58 yards to the house. He shows the vision to hit the alley, cutsback on the DB in space, and then shows the pure speed to make defenders’ angles wrong.

McKinnon saved some of his best work for the fourth quarter. He seemed to find a rhythm and picked several solid gains and showing off more of his ability to be a starting RB.

Even though this play is called back McKinnon uses his great speed to get to the edge. His burst to get vertical and stunning lateral cuts to maximize yardage, before falling forward for extra yards, really separates him from Latavius Murray.

The last play is also in the fourth quarter on a 9 yard gain. Again Mckinnon shows off his burst to attack the hole, slipping through arm tackles on his way to a solid gain.

The Vikings took several steps to improve their OL this offseason and it has shown. Our run blocking has gone from absolutely awful to a passable level. This has allowed Dalvin Cook and now Jerick McKinnon to show off some of their traits and playmaking abilities. While McKinnon is no Dalvin Cook he is a good RB in his own right and should continue to see the majority of the workload throughout the rest of the season.

Other Notes

Tom Johnson: He has improved vs the run. First 2 plays of the game he was making run stops. He's still not great but still better than the beginning of the season.
Ben Gedeon: Needs to look to make plays on the ball carrier in the run game instead of looking for contact from a blocker. Several times he looked too excited to take on FB and lost the leverage to make a tackle
Emmanuel Lamur: He came in on as the third LB in a 3-3 on an obvious passing down. Something to look out for in the future.
Sam Bradford: His knee might've been cleared to go but his mind wasn't ready. Besides missing several passes high Bradford made some awful decisions and looked like a high schooler who was afraid of getting hit. He clearly isn't the type of player who can play through pain and he needs to sit until he's 110% healthy. Whether that happens this year who knows. I think we saw the last game for Sam Bradford as a Viking.
Anthony Barr: I know I mentioned it last week but he is definitely back.

[OC] Notes on Vikings vs Bears Part One

Shoutbox

Purple Pain: Pick 6 Playoffs Edition for the Super Bowl is up: purplepainforums.com/thread/7585/pick-playoffs-edition-super-lviii Jan 31, 2024 11:33:55 GMT -6
salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.