[OC] An Attempt at Calculating WAR in the NFL

Feb 17, 2018 18:54:52 GMT -6 10 Replies
Ready for something completely out of left field? Speaking of left field, it actually has something to do with baseball. A while back I had the idea of trying to implement the advanced statistic called WAR that is commonly used in baseball and try and translate it into the NFL. So I've set some time aside to conduct a fun experiment that will most likely result in any viable or realistic statistics.

You're probably asking yourself, "What the heck is WAR anyways?"

"Wins Above Replacement (WAR) is an attempt by the sabermetric baseball community to summarize a player’s total contributions to their team in one statistic" (Source: Fangraphs.com). MLB statheads like to use this stat to try and calculate the value the team would lose if a certain player had to be replaced by a backup or free agent.

The way WAR is calculated by many websites is rather complicated, but my attempt here is going to be rather simple. It's far more difficult to quantify the performance of a NFL player than a MLB player just because of the wide array of stats baseball players accrue. So for this experiment, I'm going to use PFF ratings only because that's the only method I have that can put all players on the same grading scale (I apologize for using PFF grades so often, but they're basically all I have to do this). This also means that I will not include punters and kickers as I don't have a great way to compare their performances to the rest of the players. Perhaps they could be added later.

First what I'll have to do for this experiment is to find what replacement level actually is. It falls somewhere between the "average" player and "worst" player at each position. After tinkering with several numbers, I have decided to use 35% as the cutoff for replacement level. If a player is worse than 65% of the other players at his position, then he is a "sub-replacement" player and he will carry a negative value.

Ranking all players wasn't easy - I took every single snap played by every single player (even the guys who recorded a total of one snap on the season) and I was able to find replacement level at 35%. Here are the results:

As you can see, some positions, like QB and S, had far superior play and will limit the WAR of players that those positions. That's just how the cookie is going to crumble for this experiement.

Now it's time to calculate the WAR. First I will calculate "PFF grade above Replacement" by subtracting the player's PFF grade minues the replacement level PFF grade shown above. Next, that number will be multiplied by the number of snaps the player played, so their WAR will be amplified by how often they were on the field. Finally, this new value will be multiplied by "Position Weight", which is a way that I can give more value to a certain position. Here is how I did it:

Position Weight

QB - 2.5

HB - 1.3

FB - 0.7

WR - 1.3

TE - 1

LT - 1.5

G - 1

C - 1.1

RT - 1.3

DE - 1.2

Rotational DE - 0.8

DT - 1

Rotational DT - 0.9

LB - 1.1

Base LB - 0.9

Outside CB - 1.2

Nickel CB - 1

FS - 1.2

SS - 1.1

So yes, these measures were incredibly subjective and I picked out the numbers myself. If this were a professional experiment, I would need to thoroughly justify how I came up with all these numbers, but since we're doing this just for fun, I'm not going to spend the time doing so. I can basically manipulate these numbers however I like, but I tried to keep things fair from my viewpoint.

Finally, to calculate the WAR, I divided the subtotal by a number that would allow all values to add up to 14, because that's how many games the Vikings won. That isn't how WAR works in the MLB, but that's not my concern right now. Let's take a look at how the QB position turned out:

So by my [admittedly sketchy] methods, Case Keenum has turned out to be worth 1 and 1/8 Wins Above Replacement. In translation, if the Vikings started a replacement level QB (2017 Joe Flacco) for 92% of the snaps instead of Keenum, they would have lost approximately 1 more game. This might not sound like a big difference, but one win is worth an incredible amount of value in the NFL. This this case, Keenum was responsible for about 8% of the Vikings' wins.

Here are the rest of the results for the Vikings:

And for your viewing pleasure, here are the players ranked by WAR:

-quick analysis-

Some players ended up getting underrated due to league-wide play being good at a position (Joseph at 0.53 is way too low) or bad at a position (Rudolph at 1.22 is generous IMO).

The combo of Diggs and Thielen at WR totaled out to be worth 3.27 WAR. When Diggs was hurt, they got sub-replacement level play from Treadwell, who accrued a -0.4 WAR. Michael Floyd catches a lot of flak but he barely played and was only worth -0.04 WAR. In translation, according to my model, Treadwell's play was 10 times more detrimental to the team than Floyd's play.

The offensive line did not get much love from PFF and it shows here. With good guard play rare in the NFL in this era, Joe Berger (1.68 WAR) was a great value for his salary. The Vikings need to find an impact guard who can sustain that level of play. Easton totaled a -.14 WAR, but I wonder if he could step his play up to another level in a second full season starting in 2018. Same goes for Elflein. Reiff would have been in the green if his season ended Week 9-10, but in the second half his play dropped off and became a liability (-0.25 WAR).

Perhaps the Vikings could find a better DT next to Joseph as Tom Johnson was fairly average (0.1 WAR) and Shamar Stephen wasn't that good (-0.05 WAR).

Our LBs scored highly here because of poor LB play in the NFL. Kendricks (1.29 WAR) and Barr (1.02 WAR) had their share of great games and bad ones, but it's for the best that they stick together for the 2018 season. I would try to extend Kendricks but I'd probably pass on Barr, who's likely going to be more expensive.

Perhaps it's time to move on from Brian Robison? He played a large share of snaps and was the 2nd worst player due to WAR (-0.5). I think he gets knocked for playing poorly at DT when he shifts there on passing downs.

Alrighty then, I hope you enjoyed this statistical romp that produced some interesting but ultimately not very accurate numbers. As always, all comments are welcome. I'd like to know what you thought about my experiment.

-By the way, if you would like to see what other players' WARs for 2017 were, I'd be happy to calculate it (Kirk Cousins and other QBs perhaps?).

Sources: Pro Football Focus, Fangraphs

[OC] An Attempt at Calculating WAR in the NFL

Shoutbox

Purple Pain: Pick 6 Playoffs Edition for the Super Bowl is up: purplepainforums.com/thread/7585/pick-playoffs-edition-super-lviii Jan 31, 2024 11:33:55 GMT -6
salamander: Not feeling good unless we can find a QB. Haven't had a great one in a looooooong time. Feb 22, 2024 13:43:06 GMT -6
Reignman: March 11th, 2024 will live in history as Kirk Cousins Independence Day *cheerleader* Mar 11, 2024 16:34:20 GMT -6
salbrecht: Why can Pittsburg sign Russel Wilson fo 1.2 million and we get Sam Darnold for 10 million?? Mar 13, 2024 18:31:25 GMT -6
Reignman: when you put it like that, it's a real head scratcher, but this franchise is all about their precious culture, so I imagine they passed on a guy like Russ over something silly like that ... Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's Mar 14, 2024 17:44:47 GMT -6
shandman: If I am NE, I seriously consider getting Justin Fields and roll with Fields/Brisset this year.

For Vikings to actually pull this off they probably have to trade #11, #23 and 2025 first rounder. In return, they hopefully get #3 overall this year and NE's
Mar 15, 2024 19:29:01 GMT -6
glenwo2: Saying that Darnold will have a big smile when he's throwing all the INT's is quite the Take, Reignman. Mar 16, 2024 20:17:05 GMT -6
Nemesis: Good grief....first I hear....and then I hear...I think I better go back to being gone. *woot* ??? Mar 22, 2024 15:24:17 GMT -6
Norseman: You were gone? Mar 22, 2024 22:30:40 GMT -6
Nemesis: I'm a long gone daddy www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpe6_2nCts Mar 23, 2024 9:39:00 GMT -6
glenwo2: Norseman is Nemesis' Daddy! You heard it here first, folks. Mar 25, 2024 12:26:17 GMT -6
glenwo2: I'm kidding of course, Nemesis. :) Mar 25, 2024 12:27:05 GMT -6
Norseman: How do you know that it isn't true? Mar 25, 2024 14:28:23 GMT -6
glenwo2: Because Nemesis is the Mod and I'm just a punk rookie acting like a goofball. Mar 25, 2024 16:57:35 GMT -6
Nemesis: Plus glenwo2 is probably my dad, he just likes messing with me from the beyond. Mar 26, 2024 17:13:40 GMT -6
Reignman: Oh great, Nemesis believes in ghosts now too? Did ghost dad remember his name or only the first initial after you recited the alphabet? Apr 1, 2024 22:17:26 GMT -6
Nemesis: We agreed before he died that he would use the name "glenwo" and contact me on the PP shoutbox, but the "2" has me a bit confused. Did I miss his first attempt at contact? Apr 5, 2024 8:22:45 GMT -6
glenwo2: Well glenwo1 was busy that day.... Apr 6, 2024 3:01:11 GMT -6
Nemesis: This is amazing. That's exactly what he told me he would say! :'( Apr 13, 2024 16:48:32 GMT -6
slidell: Sell out and do what it takes to get Daniels.Mccarthy and Maye are Ponders waiting to happen Apr 22, 2024 14:37:23 GMT -6
Shout as:
Refresh
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strikethrough
  • Link
  • Insert Smiley
0/256 Send Cancel
© 2022 Purple Pain Forums

Purple Pain Forums is an independent fan website and not associated with the Minnesota Vikings or the National Football League (NFL). The content posted by individuals on this website reflect their personal opinions and in no way reflect the views of the Minnesota Vikings, NFL, or associated properties. Purple Pain Forums and its affiliates are not responsible for any content posted by our users as it is the property of the poster.